Cumbria and Lancashire are home to many world class businesses; you might expect this of Lancashire given its heritage but…
DID YOU KNOW…26% OF CUMBRIA’S WORKFORCE IS EMPLOYED IN MANUFACTURING?
Contrary to the perception of many, Cumbria is home to a number of very varied world class businesses, such as:
- BAE Systems makes the world’s most complicated machine, the Trident Nuclear Submarine, in Barrow in Furness.
- M-Sport in Cockermouth is at the forefront of motorsport technology, competing as a manufacturer in the FIA World Rally Championship, partnering with Bentley to compete in the Blancpain GT Series Endurance Cup and producing race and rally cars for customers across the globe.
- James Cropper plc makes leading edge, technical products used by the automotive and aerospace industries and its traditional paper business makes all of the country’s poppies.
- Innovia in Wigton makes the new plastic bank note for the Bank of England.
- Createc in Cockermouth has developed radioactive technology used in decommissioning Fukushima and Sellafield.
- James Fisher, based in Barrow in Furness operates the Royal Navy’s submarine rescue service and successfully rescued the Russian submarine, the Priz, off Kamchatka.
- Westmorland Limited operates the best motorway service stations in the country and is based in Cumbria.
- Story Homes are one of the country’s fastest growing companies/home builders and are also based here.
Other leading companies based in the area include SIS Pitches (Maryport), Sealy UK (Aspatria), Thomas Armstrong (Workington), Sellafield Limited (and related nuclear supply chain, Whitehaven), Iggesund Paperboard (Workington) Gilbert Gilkes (Kendal), GSK Pharmaceuticals (Ulverston).
Lancaster University is in the top 1 per cent of universities in the world and ranked ninth out of 129 universities in the Complete University Guide 2018. It is also listed within the top 10 in The Times/Sunday Times and the Guardian polls. Its Business School is internationally renowned, ranking 9th in the UK’s top ten and among the top 100 business schools in the world. The area is also home to many superb SMEs/Family businesses.